SEO Content Strategy: Increase Traffic Up to 3 Times
SEO is an ever-changing discipline, where some fundamentals remain more or less the same. To achieve great results, one needs a combination of quality content and truly effective strategy.
Every site wants reliable and qualified search traffic. As Hubspotrecently published that the website of a company that regularly updates blogs will have 97% more inbound links. Content is an essential part of SEO that has the power of maintaining a constant and credible source of relevant traffic.
Does a successful content strategy need quality and informative content? Yes, but there is a catch! Many often think that writing great content is sufficient to get the job done, however SEO is more complicated. With millions of new content published online daily, one needs a strategy to gather the attention required to have an impact on SEO.
A balance between publishing blog posts and building a strategy is required to create a funnel that can sustain relevant traffic on a consistent basis. Year after year, search engine algorithms change and so does the factors that influence ranking.
SEO changes fast – need to keep up with its changing algorithms and criteria of ranking is at all time high. Here are some of the most prominent content strategies of 2018 that will surely get your website on top search results.
I. Create Viral Content
The popular trend of 2017 is going to get stronger in the coming year. Millions of people create content daily, but only a few manage to successfully viral the posts. Check out the secret ingredients that can produce explosive contents for your venture.
- “Clickable” Headline – A good headline draws attention and encourages readers to click, which should be then followed up with quality and trustworthy content. Don’t go for “clickbait” headlines that trick the reader and ends up being snake oil.
For example: This 3-Minute Video Will Haunt Your Dreams! I am Too Scared to Watch!
This headline is magnetic and creates a sense of curiosity among readers.
- More Than 3’000 Words – More words lead to better SEO opportunities and higher conversion rates. Majority of blogs are 500 words and yours will stand out. Better organic leads and backlinks with staying power that you can repurpose again.
- Understanding Audience – Find out what your audience is passionate about by researching on Quora with long tail keyword phrases.
- Generating Ideas – Use platforms like Buzzsumo and Ubersuggest to generate ideas that are based on the popularity of the subject. You can also research with useful comments that are filled with personal opinions and suggestions from the readers.
- Fewer Sharing Buttons – Don’t give your audience options to share on every social media. Narrow it down to a maximum of three platforms and avoid confusing the readers.
- Content Curation – Make your posts viral by sharing other viral contents on the web with your readers. Create a weekly blog with most popular contents that will increase your traffic and generate awareness about your posts - Hootsuite do this every week.
Upworthy uses these content strategies and received a whopping 88 million visitors – more than Buzzfeed and Huffington Post.
II. Prioritize & Layer Content
Your content strategy should include prioritizing the topics that have higher search volume and lower competition. There are many SEO tools that can gauge keyword difficulty in less time with potential opportunity to fill a content gap.
Content layering and internal linking are other important strategies that open a wide array of opportunity and benefits for the SEO. Layering middle contents on the top of bottom contents with internal linking of the pages is an exercise that every content strategy should practice.
This will structure your website in a way that is easy for readers to follow.
III. Long-Tail Keyword Is the Key
It’s evident how keywords play an important role in the content optimization. You might create a list of keywords with high volume and low competition, but creating context is something that is less practiced.
For Example: The keyword “furniture” has great search volumes, but is also way too generic and less interesting. However, the keyword “antique dining set furniture” is less likely to be searched, but people who do search for this are more likely to buy.
This means that keyword ranking matters less, while its searcher location, intent, and preferences matter more. Even in Google’s Panda update in 2011, long-tail keyword phrases were accounted to be a major traffic driver.
You can use Google Keyword Planner and other tools to extensively research and create long-tail keywords that are sure to get you on top search results.
IV. Email Traffic Generation
According to Redicati, there are over 3.6 billion emails accounts worldwide and over 247 millions emails are exchanged every day. Quick Sprout managed to generate $43’036 in less than 24 hours with one simple email blast.
Sadly, majority of email lists are dead and fail to generate any search traffic results. Make yours come alive with the following ways:
- Define clear goals – Have specific people on your list that are realistic and relevant to your venture. Then jot down the reasons you want to create an elite list and stay determined to follow through.
- Create landing page – You might already have a landing page that collects email leads, but to solve specific purpose, you need unique pages.
For Example: You can create a separate landing page for people who want to sell their house as quickly as possible. While the other audience will get your regular landing page dedicated to property listing, real estate news, and others.
- Guest Blogging – To build an elite email list, guest blog only on targeted A-list blogs and promote search traffic to your landing page for your list.
- Facebook Targeting – Market to the right audience on Facebook by using precise targeting based on age, group, interest, and locations.
V. Regularly Restructure & Update Your Posts
Apart from focusing on producing new content, one must also pay close attention to the existing posts and pages. Go through the old contents, identify interlinking opportunities, re-write headlines, and add keywords.
Repurpose and restructure the content based on its popularity and current viral status, to make it easy for the readers to find next topic to read. Your content strategies should be able to take the load off from your readers, and restructuring the posts will eventually achieve this goal.
On final notes, consistency and quality are the pillar grounds of any effective content strategy. These steps might not give you overnight results, but will lead to long-lasting ones. Blend these strategies and create a strong presence on every major search engine result in the year 2018.